This statements sets out the McGill Facilities Management Ltd approach to sustainable procurement. It acts as guidance for both internal buyers and specifiers and for current and prospective suppliers.
Sustainable procurement is defined by McGill Facilities Management Ltd as ‘taking into account environmental, social and ethical aspects of our projects while meeting our customer requirements’. McGill Facilities Management Ltd see this as essential and efficient business practice, which helps us to make properly informed and balanced decisions when procuring the products and services needed for our projects. This statement covers the provision of materials, products, equipment, works or other services. McGill Facilities Management Ltd’s preference is always to do business with responsible suppliers who recognise their responsibility to protect the environment and foster good relations with their employees and local communities.
McGill Facilities Management Ltd’s key responsibility is to develop and maintain an economically sound and prosperous business while acknowledging our responsibilities towards the communities and environments in which we operate, and towards our employees, business partners and society in general.
The key foundations for our performance can be summarised thus:
- We are committed to do business with a high degree of integrity and ethics.
- We comply with all relevant legal requirements.
- We recognise our responsibilities toward our employees and the communities in which we operate.
- We are open-minded in dialogue with those who are affected by our operations and communicate with affected parties in a timely and effective manner
Commitment to Sustainable Procurement
McGill Facilities Management Ltd is committed to protecting the environment throughout all our business operations to ensure we reduce our impact on natural resources. We will actively manage the use of materials and wherever possible employ methods, systems and products to reduce our impact on the environment.
In particular we will:
- Educate our employees and subcontractors to ensure they are aware of our environmental commitment and they understand their environmental responsibilities
- Actively encourage employees and subcontractors to suggest environmental improvement initiatives
- Recycle waste materials where possible both on sites and in offices
- Use timber from sustainable and managed forests
- Liaise with the local community and minimise disturbance to our neighbours from our site activities
- Use biodegradable chemicals in cleaning operations and minimise the use of solvents
- Utilise methods to reduce our consumption of water and energy
- Efficiently manage delivery and transportation of materials, people and equipment
- Actively assist consultants, designers, subcontractors and Clients to select and use systems which reduce the impact of the whole project on the environment
- Use insulation materials produced using non-ozone depleting gases in their manufacture
- Use environmentally friendly refrigerant systems
- Employ an Environmental Management Plan for each of our projects and undertake a specific review of the possible impacts and opportunities.
We will comply with the requirements of environmental legislation and approved codes of practice and continuously seek to improve our environmental performance.
We will review this statement on an annual basis or where operations significantly change. The guiding principles which underlie sustainability are an intrinsic part of McGill Facilities Management Ltd business operations. The company is committed to working together to manage resources in a way which has a positive influence on the natural environment and the communities in which we operate.
McGill Facilities Management Ltd aims to deliver a sustainable built environment through a strong management structure underpinned by a collaborative approach to business which forges and maintains enduring long-term relationships with our staff, clients, consultants, supply chain and the communities in which we work.
McGill Facilities Management Ltd will work towards achieving the following Sustainability commitments:
- Resource Management: To responsibly source and efficiently manage natural resources.
- Working Together: To strengthen relationships with our stakeholders and staff
- Natural Environment: To protect and enhance the natural environment.
- Community To promote opportunities, benefits and inward investment to local communities
The Environmental Manager is responsible for reviewing on an annual basis this Statement and the Company’s sustainability commitments and targets, in order to achieve continual improvement, and reports to the Managing Director. All personnel within the Company have a responsibility for delivering sustainability through the performance of their duties.
Wherever possible sustainable products and services shall be sourced locally from suppliers /producers/ providers. Whether purchasing directly or indirectly, McGill Facilities Management Ltd requires suppliers, subcontractors and consultants to manage the social, environmental and economic impacts of their operations. Where such organisations may not initially meet all our requirements, we shall work with the supply chain to develop their
business practices. McGill Facilities Management Ltd does however expect the supply chain to be working towards compliance with this document and the company policies.