Sourcing and recycling
We maintain a high level of commitment to sound environmental policies throughout the business.
We only buy our timber from FSC or PEFC approved suppliers. When ordered, we stipulate that at least 70% of the timber to be supplied must be from sustainable sources.
We will aim to reduce packaging by good procurement, and by entering into discussions with manufacturers and suppliers with a view to reducing packaging wherever possible and to encourage the use of recyclable packaging.
We operate a policy of minimising the production of wastage through mindful purchasing of materials and using reusable and recyclable materials wherever we can. We’re certified by SEPA for the carrying of waste, and our Site Manager oversees waste management on a day to day basis to ensure that our company procedures are followed. This includes everything from the storage of waste to recycling materials with the aim to minimise the waste we produce.
Our team are expected to follow these procedures and cooperate with management in the goal to reduce our impact on the environment. These efforts have been recognised with our ISO 14001 accreditation.
As part of our ongoing commitment to protecting the environment and reducing waste levels, we have identified the following specific aims as part of our environmental policy;
- Cultivate a work ethic with a high level of awareness of waste management, waste minimisation and a desire to recycle and reuse materials when practical
- Promote economy in the use of materials generally and in particular paper and the selection of print formats and document styles in our offices
- Encourage the use of recycled/reclaimed materials; materials from sustainable sources and those that are suitable for disposal by recycling
- Favour suppliers who actively operate according to sound environmental principles
- Minimise waste by encouraging the exchange and reuse of equipment and materials amongst departments and on our construction sites
- Develop waste management strategies that include recycling procedures and schemes
- Encourage employees in our office and on our sites to promote and establish recycling schemes that are relevant to their individual activities
Current recycling carried out
- Metals removed from site and off cuts etc. are separated from other waste, split into ferrous and non-ferrous metals and transferred to skips at our yards
- Cardboard and packaging is transferred to our yard and baled into 500kg bales for recycling
- Where possible, we return packaging to the supplier for recycling
- All paper is shredded and bagged
- Wood is reused where possible or segregated from other waster before disposal
- Arrangements are mode for cable drums to be returned to the supplier for reuse
- Where materials can be used we donate these to the local community
McGill is committed to evolving its sustainability policy in order to support the Scottish Government’s target of net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2045. You can read our full Sustainability Policy here.