Macfarlan Smith Limited, part of Johnson Matthey PLC\'s Fine Chemicals Division, is a world leader in the production of alkaloid opiates and other controlled drugs.
Macfarlan Smith is a 24/7 production plant, covering over 120,000 square meters, with 20 electrical switch rooms feeding hundreds of distribution boards across many buildings.
Scope of work:
We established a site specific planned programme of electrical switch gear maintenance which incorporated periodic fixed wire testing. A five year programme was developed to enable a seven man team working to complete the relevant work within fixed and narrow timeframes, in 12 hour shifts.
The works involved 24/7 operation with only two short shut-down periods per year when the work ‘must’ be completed. The site contains hazardous areas of working therefore specific Health Assessment training had to be included – i.e. site specific method statements and risk assessments.
There was also a requirement for McGill to employ their expertise in thermal inspection post maintenance to ensure the switchgear was operating within safe working parameters.
Critical Success Factors:
- Electronic Reporting
- Key benefit to insurance and health and safety assessors
- Efficient way to store and access data for huge electrical distribution system (allowing superior access and storage rather than the traditional paper based system)
- Competitively priced tender
- Comprehensively trained staff delivering a high quality level of testing
- Expertise in energised (thermal inspection) test and inspection enabled thoroughness of findings ensuring compliance with the contract
- Work completed in a timely fashion (essential due to shut-down period)
- High standard of work delivered
- Health and Safety procedures correctly followed leading to no incidents
- Value of project year one (2009) - approximately £25k
- Year 2 (2010) main switchgear maintenance expected to be approximately £25k
Due to excellent feedback received from the client, we were contracted for a further major project of electrical testing & preventative maintenance within their sub-main electrical distribution boards (approx. £15k)Back to Case Studies
|Client:||Johnson Matthey PLC Macfarlan Smith Ltd|
|Contract Value:||£25k per annum|
|Project Duration:||5 Years|