McGill were employed at the Principal Contractor on the complete modernisation of 24 sheltered apartments for elderly people at Jubilee Court in Letham, Angus for Angus Council.
Initially two empty apartments were refurbished and then used as decant apartments for all tenants.
Only two flats were released every five weeks to allow for tenants to be decanted resulting in the long contract delivery time. Each flat was completed in four weeks allowing one week for the changeover of tenants to the decant apartments.
The scope of works included:
- Downtaking of all plumbing, electrical & joiner work
- Asbestos removal (carried out by a specialist subcontractor)
- Removal of brick partitions, joists exposed
- Installation of new floorboards, new partitions, external wall insulation, framing & sheeting of ceilings
- Installation of new plumbing and electrical services
- New radiators connected to the existing heating system
- New bathrooms with wet wall and level access showers
- New kitchen
- New doors
- New skirtings and facings
- Complete decoration, including taping works, painting and wallpaper
- Non slip vinyl in kitchen and bathroom with carpets throughout the rest of the property
- Warden call and fire alarm systems reconnected and commissioned
- Chlorination of pipe work
- Satellite TV system installed.
All works with the exception of Asbestos Removal are carried out by McGill employees. Our Contract Manager, Grant Thomson, sits on the Project Group and attends monthly meetings with the tenants to provide updates on the works and answer any queries.
- All trades refurbishment in four week time period
- Residents were decanted
- Asbestos present in all apartments