McGill designed a packaged plant room for fabricating off-site at their Dundee workshop for installation on the roof of the new build aeronautical engineering studies building at Ayr College.
The design team initially proposed the construction of a roof top plant room which would be built on site by Barr Construction and fitted out by McGill before being positioned onto the roof of the building using a helicopter.
At a progress meeting, McGill requested the design team consider issuing an instruction to McGill to purchase a 30 x 10 steel container which McGill would then fit-out as a packaged plant room at their Dundee workshop and transfer to Ayr College.
Having issued drawing to the design team showing a packaged plant room previously built by McGill for a project at Inverurie Aberdeenshire, an instruction was issued to McGill to proceed.
All builders work associated with framing, insulating and sheeting the container was carried out by McGill prior to the installation of all plant and equipment. The fit-out included the following equipment;
- Wall mounted gas fired boilers complete with low loss header and flues
- LTHW pipework distribution system
- Water pipework distribution system
- DHW cylinder with connections for solar system
- Pressurisation Unit and expansion vessel
- Heating and Water pump sets
- Automatic control panel, field wiring, control valves and sensors
- Gas distribution system
- 3000 Litre cold water storage tank
- Fire detection and alarm system
- Structured cabling system
- General and emergency lighting installation
- Small power installation
- Roof mounted solar collectors
These pictures were taken before the plant room was shipped to site.
Back to Case Studies
|Principal Contractor:||Barr Construction|
|Consulting Engineer:||RSP Glasgow|
|Project Duration:||24 Weeks|