McGill achieved completion of the RLF2 project for Michelin Tyre Company PLC at their Dundee factory on 31 March 2016 having successfully delivered a £2.1M M&E work package in 26 weeks.
The works consisted of lighting and power, heating and ventilation and specialist M&E works to the 20,000 m² tyre warehouse and 550m² office block.
Our scope of supply included the M&E design and this was carried out by our in-house design team consisting of Senior Design Engineer, Richie Webster and Mechanical Design Engineer, David Gibson.
We designed, supplied, installed and commissioned the following systems –
- Main Distribution System
- Sub-Main Distribution System
- Small Power Installation
- General Lighting Installation
- Emergency Lighting System
- External Lighting Installation
- Main Containment & Support Systems
- Fire Alarm System
- Intruder Alarm System
- Access Control System
- CCTV System
- Disabled Persons Call System
- Voice & Data System
- Lightning Protection System
- Mechanical Services Power
- Earthing & Equipotential Bonding
- Steam & Condensate System Alterations
- LTHW Heating System
- Water Services Installation
- Above Ground Drainage Installation
- Supply & Extract Ventilation Systems
- Building Management System
Services subcontracted included;
- McGill Fire & Security - Design, Supply, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of CCTV, Controlled access, Fire alarm, Intruder alarm and Disabled toilet Systems
- NG Baileys - Design, Supply, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of IT Structured Cabling System
- BEST Services LTD - Design, Supply, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of the CDEGS Earthing Design(earth farm) System & Design, Supply, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of the Lightning & Surge Protection System
- West Coast Controls - Design, Supply, Installation and Final Commission of the Building Management Automatic Controls system
- Dravo - Design, Supply, Installation, Testing and Commissioning of the High Velocity Heating system
- CBL - Cable Pulling & Terminating SWA cabling. Pressure Testing HV cabling and Setting up sepam relay of HV installation
- Crown Engineering - Welding & fabrication of Pipework
- Group Management - Electrical Inspection, Testing & Certification
- McNicol - Supply and install of thermal insulation
- MJ Vent - Supply and installation of the ventilation systems
As the initial tender offer for the contract came in over budget, McGill were heavily involved in a value engineering process as the value of the M&E work package was 30% of the contract sum. We worked closely with our suppliers and sub-contractors to drive down the cost of the project by offering alterative installation methods and systems without compromising on quality.
All operatives were directly employed and operatives were on site seven days a week working 12 hour shifts in order for us to achieve programme. We carried out works at a height of 12Meters where we used Genie® Z™-60/34 lifters which allowed quick, precise access to work areas for increased productivity, which was required for this fast track project.
Robbie Clarke, Operations Manager for principle contractor, McLaughlin & Harvey said
McGill delivered and excellent product in what was a fast-track project and I would have no hesitation in using them or recommending them to other clients.
Successful completion of this project has led to McLaughlin & Harvey and McGill being invited to tender further projects at the Michelin Dundee factory and we hope this leads to us securing future work.Back to Case Studies
|Client:||Michelin Tyre PLC|
|Principal Contractor:||McLaughlin & Harvey|
|Project Duration:||26 weeks|